Parasite Photos

Just thought I would post a few photos of some of the parasites I’ve studied recently.

Manduca sexta (tobacco hornworm) parasitized by Cotesia congregata (a Braconid wasp)

Manduca sexta (tobacco hornworm) parasitized by Cotesia congregata (a Braconid wasp). This caterpillar had 70 wasp larvae living inside of it.

Rhithrogena hageni (a Heptageniid mayfly) parasitized by Symbiocladius sp., a chironomid larva.

Rhithrogena hageni (a Heptageniid mayfly) parasitized by Symbiocladius sp. (a Chironomid). Here the parasitic chiro has already begun to pupate. The wings are clearly visible through the pupal skin.

Baetis bicaudatis (a Baetid mayfly) and the mermithid nematode worm that I dissected out of it.

Epeorus deceptivus (A heptageniid mayfly) parasitized by a mermithid nematode

Epeorus deceptivus (A heptageniid mayfly) parasitized by a mermithid nematode.

Here the worm has been dissected out. The worms can represent up to 70% of the total dry mass of host and parasite. Makes me wonder how the mayfly is still alive!

Megarcys signata (a large predacious stonefly) parasitized by water mites (the orange spots).